1) When will you automate a test?
Automation in preferred in following cases
- Repetitive Tasks
- Smoke and Sanity Tests
- Test with multiple data set
- Regression test cases
Usually the decision is based on the ROI (Return on Investment)
2) When you will not automate testing?
One should not automate in following cases
- When the Application Under Test changes frequently
- One time test cases
- Adhoc – Random testing
3) What are the steps involved in the Automation Process ?
In the automation process, steps involved are
- Selecting the Test tool
- Define scope of automation
- Planning, desing and development
- Test execution
4) What are the points that are covered while planning phase of automation ?
During planning phase of automation things which has to be taken in concern are
- Selection the “right” Automation tool
- Selection Automation Framework if any
- List of In scope and out of scope items for automation
- Test Environment setup
- Preparing Grant Chart of Project timelines for test script development & execution.
- Identify Test Deliverables
5) In what condition we cannot use automation testing for Agile method ?
Automation testing is not useful for agile methods in following conditions
- When Agile testing always ask for changes in requirements
- When Exhaustive level of documentation is required in Agile
- Only suitable for those regression tests during agile testing like continuos integration
6) What are the primary features of good automation tool ?
- Test Environment support and easy to use
- Good debugging facility
- Robust object identification
- Object and Image testing abilities
- Object identification
- Testing of database
- Support multiple frameworks
7) What are the types of framework used in software automation testing ?
In software automation testing four types of framework used are
- Data driven automation framework
- Keyword driven automati4on framework
- Modular automation framework
- Hybrid automation framework
8) What are the scripting standard while performing automation testing?
While writing the scripts for automation you have to consider following things,
- Uniform naming convention.
- 3 Lines of comments for every 10 lines of code
- Adequate indentation.
- Robust error handling and recovery scenario
- Use of Frameworks wherever possible
9) What are the most popular tools for automation testing?
The most popular test tool for automation testing are
- QTP (HP UFT)
- Rational Robot
10) On what basis you can map the success of automation testing?
On basis of following criteria the success of automation testing can be mapped
- Defect Detection Ratio
- Automation execution time and time savings to release the product
- Reduction in Labour & other costs
11) Explain what is Sikuli?
Sikuli is a tool that uses “Visual Image Match” method to automate graphical user interface. All the web elements in Sikuli should be taken as an image and stored inside the project.
Sikuli is comprised of
- Sikuli Script
- Visual Scripting API for Jython
- Sikuli IDE
Practical uses of Sikuli is that
- It can be used to automate flash websites or objects
- It can automate window based application and anything you see on screen without using internal API support
- It provides simple API
- It can be easily linked with tools like Selenium
- Desktop application can be automated
- Sikuli offers extensive support to automate flash objects
- To automate desktop it uses powerful “Visual Match” and Flash objects
- It can work on any technology-.NET, Java,
12) Mention what is the difference between Selenium and Sikuli?