1) What is Application Support?
Application Support is an IT service which is delivered to users within an organization. It enables the IT processes needed to run a successful business.
2) Why do you want to do this application support analyst job?
I like human interaction and the satisfaction that comes from helping someone solve a problem. This inspired me to start my career as application support executive.
3) Why do you want to work for our organization?
I have good enough knowledge to live up to the high demands and need for your organization. I have XYZ years of experience in system modifications and customization.
4) How do you troubleshoot a crashing application?
Crash is one of the common scenarios of application failure. It is caused by an unhandled exception generated in the application. There are two types of information which are widely used to resolve application crash:
- Unhandled exception type which is also called exception code and error message.
- The full stack trace for the unhandled exception.
5) What are the important qualities of this job?
- Technical knowledge
- Investigation and diagnostic skills
- Knowledge of supporting tools
6) What challenges do applications support professionals need to face?
Frustrated customers who use abusive language. At such times its important to remain calm and show empathy towards the customer.
7) What is the one thing that you need to concentrate on when performing your work duties as an application support analyst?
I believe that data integrity is the area where I should focus the most as solid and accurate data makes application systems healthy.
8) Have you done automation on your system monitoring tasks?
I had developed Log monitoring system’s scripts to keep track of exceptions. I am also using tool that notifies the stakeholders if any exceptional happen within the system.
9) Describe the role of Application support executive.
I was supporting a Trading platform in my previous job. Here is what I did-
- Supporting various trading applications and platforms
- Solving issues related to data feeds and profit & loss breaks
- Attend urgent and instant requests by various users in a vibrant and demanding environment.
- Advanced use of EXCEL formulae and Visual Basic.
- Research, troubleshoot and respond to client questions. It should cover every aspect of various software applications.
- Regular document research and perform actions based on that research.
- Perform QA testing and provide feedback about to superior management.
10) What are essential technical expertise for this job?
Support analyst needs to show IT skill around applications and systems. Some most sought technical skills for this job are databases and SQL, and operating system platforms such as UNIX, Solaris, and Windows.
11) What kind of Tools you know which is needed for this job?
Application Support Analysts use a variety of skills in their daily work.
- IT management software
- Complex computer systems
- Telecommunications systems
- Photocopier machine and printers
12) Are you ready to work any time of the day?
As application support executive, I know that I am aware of the fact that I should be ready to work any shift.
13) What are resources you are using for continuous adaptation of your skills?
I am mostly referring blogs like New Relic Blog, SQLBlog.com. I also read books like A+ Guide to IT Technical Support, Web Application Security, and A Beginner’s Guide to SQL, etc.
14) What personal characteristics define you as a right candidate for application support executive job?
A combination of technological expertise and communication skills makes me a right candidate for this job.