Top 22 Windows Server Interview Questions and Answers (2023)
1) Explain what is Windows Server?Window server is a series of server operating system developed by Microsoft Corporation.
2) Explain in windows DNS server what is Primary, Secondary and Stub zone?In windows DNS server,
- Primary Zone: In this, the file is saved as normal text file with filename (.dns).
- Secondary Zone: It maintains a read-only copy of zone database on another DNS server. Also, it acts as a back-up server to the primary server by providing fault tolerance and load balancing
- Stub Zone: It consists of a copy of name server and SOA records which is used for reducing the DNS search orders.
👉 Free PDF Download: Windows Server Interview Questions and Answers
3) Explain what does IntelliMirror do?IntelliMirror helps to reconcile desktop settings, applications and stored files for users especially for those users who move between workstations or those who works offline
4) In the case when MSI file is not available, how you can install an app?To add the application using the Software Installer.ZAP text file can be used rather than the windows installer
5) Explain how you can set up remote installation procedure without giving access to user?To do that, you have to go to, gponameà User Configuration à Windows Settings à Remote Installation Services à Choice Options
6) What does it mean by “tattooing” the Registry ?“ Tattooing” the registry means user can modify and view user preference that are not stored in the maintained portions of the Registry. Even if the group policy is changed or removed, the user preference will still persist in the registry.
7) Mention how many types of queries DNS does?The types of queries DNS does are
- Iterative Query
- Recursive Query
8) Explain what is the primary function of the domain controller?Primary function of the domain controller is to validate users to the networks, it also provide a catalog of Active Directory Objects.
9) What information is required when TCP/IP is configured on Window Server?To configure a TCP/PI client for an IPv4 client, you have to provide the IP address and the subnet mask.
10) Explain what does it mean caching only server in terms of DNS?The caching only DNS server provides information related to queries based on the data it contains in its DNS cache.
11) Explain what is the way to configure the DHCP server such that it allocates the same IP address to certain devices each time the address is removed?To configure the DHCP server, you can create a reservation for the device. To create a reservation, you must know the MAC hardware address of the device. To determine the MAC address for a network device you can use the ipconfig or nbs tat command line utilities.
12) Explain what is LDAP?To look up for the information from the server, e-mail and another program follows or uses the internet protocol. This protocol is referred as LDAP or Lightweight Directory Access Protocol.
13) Explain what is SYSVOL folder?It is a set of files and folders that is stored on the local hard disk of each domain controller in a domain and are replicated by the FRS ( File Replication Service). These files contain group or user policy information.
14) Explain what is the difference between a thread and a computer process?Computer Process: In computing, a process is an instance of a computer program that is executed sequentially by a computer system which can run several computer programs concurrently. Thread: A thread is a several executable program that work together as a single process. For instance, one thread might send an error message to the user; another might handle error signals while the third thread might be executing the original action.
15) Explain what is INODE?INODE holds the metadata of files; INODE is a pointer to a block on the disk, and it is unique. In simple words, it is a unique number allocated to a file in UNIX-like OS.
16) Explain what is RAID in Windows Server?For storing same data at a different place RAID or Redundant Array of Independent Disks strategy is used. It is a strategy for building fault tolerance and increase the storage capacity. On separate drives it allows you to combine one or more volumes so that they are accessed by a single drive letter
17) Explain what is the purpose of deploying local DNS servers?A local DNS server provides the local mapping of fully qualified domain names to IP addresses. To resolve remote requests related to the domains names on your network, local DNS servers can provide record information to remote DNS servers.
18) To check TCP/IP configurations and IP connectivity, what are the two command line utilities that can be used?Ipconfig: To check the computer’s IP configuration, command ipconfig can be used and also it can be used to renew the client’s IP address if it is provided by a DHCP server. Ping: To check the connection between the local computer and any of the other computer device on the network Ping command is used
19) Explain if it is possible to connect Active Directory to other 3rd party Directory services?Yes, you can connect other vendors directory services with Microsoft version. By using dirXML or LDAP to connect to other directories.
20) Explain where is the AD database is held?AD database is saved in %systemroot%/ntds. Files that controls the AD structure are
Terrible questions. More like an exam with no real life situations presented.
Useful information. Thanks for posting
It was simple question and answer an server fi
Very useful questions
Its interesting to see like simple basic questions and its useful for l1 support
basic important questions and answers
I am very much happy of all these questions
Interesting and helpful information
Good collection of interview questions & answers.
basic important questions and answers
it will be ok but not clear informaton, it is ok not meaning full ,,,
this is realy great
Admin…. pls add some example’s also.
Thanks very helpful for me
Very nice info, I’m downloading it for interview preparation.
Questions and answers were more like one of my exams. Very useful cause it had me going back to most of what I am forgetting about.
Sir please tell me how to getting jobs networking engineer I have completed diploma networking CCNA mcsa
Thank you .Nice summary
thank you alot
Thanks for the quick reference file..GL..!!!
I want fresher server admin q&a
Thanks nice basic Questions and answers.