This mega tutorial is all that you need to learn about How to Write Employee Resignation Letter and Email.
Here is what you will learn –
How to Write Resignation Letter
There are many ways of writing a resignation letter. The good way of writing one is in a manner that helps you remain in the good books of your bosses and colleagues, puts you up to make complete use of your previous position and helps you network and gather good references for future job opportunities. A refined and charming resignation letter comprises of the following characteristics:
- It should be official yet friendly
– The first thing to consider writing a resignation letter is that you should be friendly yet not to forget that you are writing an official letter. Never use contentious or emotional words in your letter; it may spoil your elegant image.
- It should be clear and concise-
The resignation letter should use straightforward and unambiguous sentences such as “I am notifying my resignation effective from [date]”. It should not leave you open to counteroffers. Thoughtfully, you should give sufficient time to your boss to fill the position. Additionally, you may also consider giving your time to train the replacement if needed.
- It should be supportive and assure full cooperation
– The resignation letter must assure your supervisor of your complete cooperation in the transition during the notice period. Make sure that you include your contact details with a note that you can be called even after you have resigned and that you will be happy to answer doubts and queries and perform the complete knowledge transfer before and, where needed after you have left, to your successor.
- Make sure to get all the details of employee benefits
- Avoid Negativity
– There should be no negativity in the letter, since it goes in your personal file. That being said; you never know when you would come across the same HR employees down the future. Hence it is best to keep all your bridges, instead of burning them down. Positive sentences can help you achieve that. Potential employers often contact your ex-employers for employment verification etc. Naturally, you must make a note of that. If you write negative sentences in the letter, it is certainly not going to go down well with employers who are called to vouch for you.
- It should show gratitude
– Avoid using the harsh words even if you are leaving because of some unpleasant reasons. Instead, show gratitude to the immediate supervisor for getting the new position owing to the professional experience you have gained while working on his job etc. Examples include: “I will always be indebted to you for your professional help and support and hope that my new colleagues are as accommodating as you and [names of colleagues]” etc. The letter should be signed with your first name.
Template of a Employee Resignation Letter
[Your phone number]
Dear [manager/ first name of person],
Kindly consider this letter as a formal/official notice of my resignation from my position as [name of position] for [name of the company]. My resignation will be effective on [date]. This includes the notice period of [no. of weeks] weeks.
As you probably already know the reason for my departure [this is optional, you can either mention that you have received a new offer at Xyz Company, or that you are relocating etc].[Here you can thank your manager for help in getting the new position since you gained a great experience while working with him]
I would like to thank you for the many opportunities I have had with this organization. I would especially like to thank [names of colleagues] for their support and guidance and [mention positive experiences you have had at the workplace].
I wish you and [company name] the very best for the future. Kindly let me know if I can be of any help during the transition and help my replacement into his/her new role. [Mention that you will mentor the new person even after your last date]. [Ask how you can clean off loans or accruals of assets that you might have gained from the company]..
Thanks again for everything.
Sample Employee Resignation Letter
Name of organization
City, Zip Code
Dear Title/ Name/ Last name,
This letter serves as my resignation notice from the position of [position name] from [company name]. My last day of employment would be [mention date]. This includes the notice period of [mention no. of weeks].
Resigning from [name of the organization] is a difficult decision. I have to do so, on account of some personal obligations. My resignation should, in no way, be taken as my dissatisfaction with my position, my role or the management.
Indeed, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank each and every member of [name of the company], for their mentorship and guidance. You, especially, have made important contributions to my professional development.
I am aware of the requirement to provide professional support to my successor until my departure. I promise to give my full commitment to him/her until then. I intend to make this change as smooth as possible. Additionally, I am also available for help anytime, and am leaving my contact details so you can contact me when needed.
I will be grateful to you if you can send me details about the final work schedule and employee benefits etc.
Resignation Email letter sample
Dear Mr. /Ms. Last Name,
- Please accept this letter as notification that I am leaving my position as an accountant with XYZ Inc. As per our contract, I will be pleased to continue working during my notice period that ends on March 15
- . I am also willing to consider leaving earlier should we mutually agree on a suitable process. Kindly advise me of the preferred handover process of any assets or loans that I might have.
Though I regret to leave the team, I greatly appreciate the support I have received during the [x years] of service. I want to thank you and staff for all the professional guidance I have received during this period. The company is poised for remarkable growth, and I wish you and XYZ much success in all future endeavors.
Kindly let me know what I can expect as far as my final work schedule, accrued leave and employee benefits entail. I have completed all my current projects well before their deadlines, and I am also willing to pass my responsibilities to my successor. I will happily train him and, if needed, I can also help in interviewing the replacement candidates.
I wish you and the staff all the very best and also look forward to staying in touch with you. You can email me anytime at email@example.com or call me at 555-555-5555.
Name, Last name.