1) What are the duties of a maintenance and repair worker?
The maintenance and repair worker duties includes
- Building partitions
- Make a plaster or drywall repairs
- Fix or paint roofs
- Fix worn or broken parts
- Maintain and repair specialized equipment’s
- Inspect mechanical parts like motors, belts, drives, fluid levels and perform other maintenance actions
- Drywall repairs
2) What is the skill required to become maintenance and repair worker?
To become maintenance and repair worker you must know
- Basic calculation
- Safety practices and handling tools
- Basic plumbing repair skills
- Basic knowledge of electrical wiring
- Ability to decipher written or oral instructions
- Physical agility
- Able to lift and move heavy objects
3) Mention what are the challenges that maintenance and repair work usually face?
- Unusual working condition like bad weather or low temperature
- May have to work in an unusual shift
- May have to work in a messy area
- May sometimes be physically distressing and exhausting
- May have to work in dangerous places like working at height or working with electrical appliances and wires
4) What is the potential risk that repair and maintenance work usually face?
The potential risk that repair and maintenance worker faces are
- Faulty electrical: Risk of electrocuted always remains with repair and maintenance workers, if not equipped with electric-proof tools and attires. They are prone to burns, shocks, etc.
- Lifting equipment: Workers usually have to deal with heavy metal objects and lifting equipment is not inspected or maintained then they are at risk of a fatal accident
- Maintenance of working and walking surfaces: Slippery working surfaces, sharp tools and nails scattered on working surface, slip and trip, uneven and potholed are some potential hazard that may cause an accident
- Dust: It potential risk for the workers specially working in woodworking or iron industries
5) Mention what are the precaution measures taken by the repair and maintenance worker at working site?
The precaution measures taken at the working site is
- Overhead and side clearances are adequate to permit the safe operation of the lift truck
- Aisles, floors and passageways should be kept clear and free of hazards
- To avoid the accumulation of vapours from the refueling and operation of its lift trucks, workplace should be adequately ventilated
6) What care has to be taken care when doing gas welding?
While doing gas welding worker should
- Should wear proper protective before doing gas welding
- Valve protection caps should be in a secured place
- When cutting is done, they should be secured on a pallet or springboard
- Cylinder should be transported in a vertical situation
- For lifting cylinders, valve protection caps shall not be used for lifting from one vertical position to another
- Oxygen and fittings shall be kept away from oil or grease
- Any faulty or defective equipment should be reported to the supervisor
7) How can one become a general maintenance worker?
To become general maintenance worker the individual should learn some basic skills in high school or technical classes, community college or postsecondary trade of vocational schools. Student aspire to become maintenance worker can also observe and learn maintenance skill.
8) While doing welding what are the safety measures that worker should follow?
While doing welding, workers should follow the rules like
- Respirator or welders mask: Use mask or respirators as per your projects, match the filter to the types of metals and coatings used
- Ventilation: Welding area should have proper ventilation; improper ventilation can cause “plume poisoning.”
- Clean and tidy area: Make sure the area you working is clean and check for any leaks
- Storage: Flammable substance should be kept in a proper storage locker
- Eye protection: Eye protection can protect against injuries due to debris and the effects of the ultraviolet light
- Fire protection: The sparks from welding can set fire, proper fire extinguisher should be kept in reach of the welding area
- Protective clothing: Body parts like hands and legs should be a cover with protective and clothes which can bear heat and spark emitted from the welding
9) What are the factors that can lead to the psychological risks and stress?
Psychological risk arises from
- Excessive workloads
- Psychological harassment by third party
- Conflicting demand and lack of communication
- Lack of role clarity
- Lacking decision-making skill
- Poorly managed organization
- Working in overtime
10) What does the carpentry maintenance worker do?
Carpentry maintenance worker does many things like
- Assist in measuring, marking and arranging materials according to blue-print
- Cuts and shapes materials such as wood, fiberglass and drywall manually as well as with power tools
- Assists with the repairing and constructing miscellaneous items of the wooden structure
- Assisting with replacing of floors, wall sidings, doors, etc.
- Installation of partitions, doors and walls
- Assisting with the erection of scaffolding
- Inspect wooden structure and build forms for pouring concrete
11) Mention what are the duties of a construction maintenance worker?
- Inspect the structures and identify the cause of the problem
- Fix the broken parts and giving final finishing touch to repair and construct repairs
- Sound knowledge of using hand and power tools like wrenches, hammers and screwdrivers
- Repair and maintain system that control the temperature
- Monitor the work orders and repair jobs accordingly
- Read catalogs, blueprints and manuals
- Check prices with suppliers
- Estimate costs of a job
- Do almost all types of maintenance work
12) Mention what are the tools used by road maintenance worker?
Tools used by road maintenance worker are
- Swiss hammer
- Epoxy guns
- Chain drags
- Pressure washers
- Sand blasters, Saws, etc.