Top 19 Receptionist Interview Questions and Answers (2023)
Here are Receptionist interview questions and answers for freshers as well as experienced front desk executive candidates to get their dream job.
1) Explain the role and responsibility of receptionist?
The responsibility of a receptionist are
- Maintain and organize a current and accurate filing system
- Monitor the use of equipment and supplies
- Monitor the repair and maintenance of office equipment
- Handle all incoming calls and inquiries
- Note down adequate messages and re-direct calls as appropriate
- Greet and assist the visitors
- Provide administrative services for the Executive staff
- Provide word-processing and secretarial support
- Assist in the planning and preparation of conferences, meetings, etc.
👉 Free PDF Download: Receptionist Interview Questions and Answers
2) Mention the skill required for a receptionist?
Skill required for becoming receptionist are
- Time management skill
- Basic computer skills
- Good communication
- Team building, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Stress management skills
3) Mention what are the challenges receptionist might face over time?
Challenges receptionist might face over time include,
- Have to manage couple of projects at same time
- May be interrupted frequently to meet the requirement and requests of members
- Need to deal with busy and noisy environment sometimes
- Need excellent organizational
- Working longer hours on computer
4) List out the Key Performance Objectives of a Receptionist?
The Key Performance Objectives of a Receptionist are,
- Intelligent use of resources
- Technical Skills
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Maintaining office morale
5) Mention what makes a receptionist’s work meaningful?
A receptionist’s work becomes meaningful when it provides excellent customer service and present a positive face of the company.
6) Mention what are the basic office equipment can you operate?
The basic office equipment that I can operate
- Graph plotters
- Shredders and so on
7) Explain what will be your approach to co-ordinate group meetings?
To coordinate group meetings my approach would be,
- Using Outlook or the company specific portal for addressing correspondent
- Calling the respective personnel for the meetings/appointments confirmation and reminding the management about them
- Before organizing the meeting make sure everything required is functional for example the projector, internet connection, etc.
- Communicating and adjusting any particulars about the meetings (time and date)
8) Explain how can you handle annoyed visitors or clienteles?
To handle annoyed visitors or clienteles, instead of arguing with client
- I would first listen to their problem patiently
- Try to bring resolution to their problem if I can, otherwise, see the manager of the company
9)Are you familiar with the EPABX and VOIP?
Yes I am familiar with it
- VOIP: Voice Over Internet Protocol. ( Skype, Whatsapp, etc.)
- EPABX: It is a multiline telephone exchange system
10) Explain what would you do when a client or visitor ask you a question that you don’t have the answer?
When a client or visitor ask you a question that you don’t have the answer in such case, simply ask the visitor to wait. So that you can find out the answer or can direct to the right person.
11) Explain what if your co-worker complains about you?
I would feel uncomfortable, but without seeing as a personal affair, I would ask for clarification to a co-worker and own the problem. I would implement further actions to improve the situation.
12) A client does not accept your solution to the problem. What would you do?
I would show a willingness to present alternatives or will call an experienced personnel to handle him.
13) As a receptionist what do you feel is the most important skill?
As a receptionist, the most important skill is to be comfortable with meeting and interacting people from diverse backgrounds. He should be always of a pleasant and cheerful demeanor to any person.
14) Mention what are some key aspects or tips a good receptionist should remember?
- Smile when you answer the phone
- Always answer the phone with a welcome or an appropriate greeting
- Answer the phone as promptly as possible
- Before transferring the call ask for the caller’s name
- Announce the caller by name to the person to whom you are transferring the call
- Before putting someone on hold, always ask
- To take or note down a message, keep a scratch pad on your desk
- Ask managers if they prefer receiving calls in voice mail or getting a written message
15) Explain what is the difference between a receptionist and an administrative assistant?
There are very less difference and more similarities in their role. However, the administrative assistant will have a more complex task to handle than a receptionist.
- Receptionists only copy and file records and documents
- The administrative assistant role includes Drafting routine memos, billing, and editing company correspondence to ensure that they are in order. Also, they have to do buying supplies, doing basic bookkeeping and managing the office’s supplies if applicable
- In some cases a certificate of secretarial skills is required, specific certificate is not required
16) How would you rate an importance of a receptionist from One to Ten, if we talk about overall impression for the company?
A receptionist is the face of the company, and it is the first person some come across while visiting the company. I will rate 10 out of 10 if the importance of a receptionist is considered.
17) What computer skills will be helpful for a receptionist?
A knowledge of spreadsheet, graphic system, accounting software, basic desktop and MS office operating skill will be helpful to the receptionist.
18) What are the key areas for receptionist job that every receptionist should focus on?
Every receptionist should focus on two aspects,
- Telephone Etiquette
- Client Service
19) How can you stand out as a better receptionist?
- Ask co-workers if they need help
- In your free time see if you can help your managers with additional tasks
- Write messages in a duplicate book and give one copy to the person the message is for
- Find someone to take the desk for breaks, meetings, etc.
- Be polite, to even your angry client
Thanks alot, am sure this will of help. Keep it up
Yes it was much helpful
very good explanation & answer thanks, team.
it is a good opportunity
Thanks for the information. Its really helpful
It’s awesome …. And it would help any receptionis. So keep it up to new receptionis.
It’s very helpful I leaner a lots thanks
this was very helpful
Am very overwhelmed about your app. It very helpful. Tanks and God bless u
I really benefited , this is great, keep it up
thanks a lot for the helpfully information !!!!
Very good question and their answer and helpful for me .
I am fresher candidate for receptionist role. I have not fluently in english. Fluently hindi and begaali. I have a basic computer knowledge . And I have 3 years experience of back office cum telecalling job role.
Very helpful, thanks
thx for the help
I have learnt alot. God bless you
Thanks alot,Am sure this will help
Excellent answers, thanks for your effort.
Best article.. You jotted down each and every thing.. it’ is really helpful. Rate this article out of 100 💯 out of 💯
Very much help and clearly laid down answers . Thanks
Thanks a lot this was helful
Very helpful to me
This is for me.
Thanks a lot.
This is great and it helps
This is absolutely practical knowledge all receptionist/front desk personnel should have.
Very helpful and on point.
Thanks, everyone will achieve positively here.
Wow. This is very helpful.
Thanks ,this was very helpful