Here are Teacher interview questions and answers for freshers as well as experienced science or computer teacher candidates to get their dream job.
1) How can you prepare students for standardized assessments?
In almost all grades, standardized assessment is carried out. You should be able to tell the name of the test and the format of the test. It will be an extra credit if you explain it with some of the experiments you carried out with the students.
2) What is the motive behind building a middle school?
The motive behind building middle school is to fill the gap between elementary and high school and a smooth transition of students into adolescence.
3) Mention the pros and cons you see of implementing CCSS (Common Core State Standard)?
- You can examine the standard by yourself and see whether it gives the desired result
- It helps to know students and teachers consistency at each grade throughout all states
- It allows teachers to collaborate with any school nationwide
- It helps to improve professional development for teachers
- Easy for the student to get a grip over the subject while moving to other states
- Lack of implementation
- Sometimes challenging for students to meet the CCSS standards
4) What is the type of qualities would you look for in a principal?
- Having a vision and a clear goal
- Planning and motivating
- Good communication at all levels
- Visibility, consistency, and accountability
5) What are the responsibilities of a middle school teacher?
The middle school teacher responsibilities include
- Helping children to move from early phases of learning to become expert
- Conducting and grading tests
- Presenting and setting up lessons
- Working with students both in groups and personally
- Tracking and monitoring the performance and progress of each student
- Regular meeting with parents to discuss student’s progress
- Supervising activities after school hours for sports, club and dance activities
6) What will be your approach when a lesson does not work well?
- Try to analyze what went wrong
- Concentrate on the weakness of the lessons
- Make the content accessible and more comprehensive
- Utilize useful resource
- Take advice and guidance from other experienced teachers
7) What are the skills middle school teacher should have or implement to make teaching more effective?
- Provide study material which is compelling and easy to understand
- Try to create an ambiance where students can help each other
- Allot homework smartly which is a burden less and more meaning full
- Model thinking and not solution or answer oriented
- Provide the feedback immediately and which is more relevant to the task
- Before state testing gets math tutor volunteers once a week for two months
- Use storytelling method to teach maths to students
8) What thing middle school teacher (PGT & TGT) have to take care while dealing with students?
- Don’t dictate or pressurize student to use what they have learned
- Don’t expect from the student to understand everything that you taught especially figurative language
- Don’t keep talking and discussing the topic to yourself, let the student get involved in it
- Don’t make student work on the same thing over and over
- Don’t embarrass students
- Don’t allow to sit students in groups with the same peer
- Don’t expect students to work independently
9) What are some of the problems faced by middle school?
Some of the problems faced by a middle school are
- Insufficient teacher training
- Inappropriate learning environment
- Less involvement of parents
- Emotional stress and other issues
10) What are the changes you would like to see in student you have taught?
- Active involvement in studying
- Positive approach towards new ideas
- Ready to learn new things
- Making progress in written and oral exams
- High level of participation in other curriculum activities
11) What are the exploratory courses or classes you prefer for middle school student and why?
Any exploratory courses or class can be helpful for a middle school student to develop their skills
- Arts: Student can express themselves by learning instruments and dance including band, chorus, etc.
- Business Courses: It teaches them typing and enhances their keyboard skills which can be further used in business marketing and computer design
- Foreign languages: Learning a foreign language always add a credit to your skills, and middle school can help the student to get a head start in this
- Physical education and health: Physical activities help students to become stronger and become competitive and also relieves them from stress and boredom
12) According to you what is the role of parents towards students in middle school?
- Parents should be supportive
- Parents should try to understand their child learning ability and motivate them to improve further
- Parents should not oppose on their liking and dislike towards the subject
- Parents should tell the student that it is ok to fail
- Parents should encourage students to learn new things
- Parents should track their progress in schools
- Parents should build qualities like patience, hard work, and practice
13) What does special education teacher do in middle school?
Special education teacher helps the students who have severe emotional or physical disabilities. Their key responsibilities include
- Specialized techniques used to teach such students like problem-solving assignment, intensive individualized instruction, and small group work
- While arranging a test, lengthening the time for a test or providing material which is read-only
- Develop IEP ( Individualized Education Program) which sets individualized teaching program for specific students and preparing them for middle school
- Co-ordinates with associate teachers, teacher assistant, therapist, social workers, and related personnel to meet such student needs
- Teaching such students individually in a separate class
14) What is the primary reason for the drop out in middle school?
The major reason for the drop out in school is a student’s lack of skill in reading, writing, mathematical, reasoning, and other learning skills. Also, students who are dropping out of school find schooling boring and less interesting.
15) How can you reduce drop out in middle school?
To reduce drop out in middle school various steps that should be considered are
- Link student interest with learning
- Provide them an appropriate environment for studying like vary classroom format day to day
- Give students a few options in topics to study or research, and make an attempt to link the material or topics to everyday life, for example, relate some outdoor activities with maths problem
- Use a map, a pictorial diagram, powerpoint presentation, and visual image to make the topic more comprehensive and less boring
- Teachers should bring belief in their students about how the project or some course can benefit them in their career prospectus
- One to one conversation with students about their liking towards any activities it could be sports, music, painting, etc.
16) What would be your classroom management structure if you are hired?
The classroom management structure that I would opt for –
- Listening to students in a one-to-one meeting
- Solving issues among the students
- Try to involve parents in the disciplinary process
- Having student sign a learning contract at the beginning of the year
- Agreeing on a set of classroom rules together as a class
17) How can you bring interest among students for a subject like science?
- At the beginning of the year, set the tone as the science is creative, dynamic and fun
- Wherever possible ask question to arouse curiosity
- Use the example of scientific discoveries often in your conversation
- Take help of other science teachers for organizing some science fair or seminar for students or group activities related to science
- Look for collaboration with local scientific research institute even if it is for temporary
- Take full advantage of lab facilities
- Let student work freely with their practical’s and let them use the trial and error method
18) What are the duties of a high school teacher?
High school teacher duties include
- Prioritizing teaching methods
- Preparing material for seminars and presentations
- Enforcing disciplinary actions
- Conducting progress reports
- Assessment of student progress
- Lecturing and discussing concepts
- Making administrative and budget decisions
19) What are the extracurricular activities high school teacher can organize?
- Quiz competition based on subjects
- Debate or discussion on subjects and out of subjects
- Indoor and outdoor games
- Drama and stage performance
- Volunteering in NGO’s or field that student interest
20) What are the benefits of extracurricular activities?
The student will learn many things through extracurricular activities
- Learning time management and prioritizing
- Learning about long term commitments
- Motivates them for other careers
- Raise their self-confidence
- Teamwork and relationship skills
- Making a contribution
21) How often is it good to see students’ parents?
A weekly meeting would be more preferable to monitor student progress, which is usually held by sending a weekly parent newsletter. For grades 3 and above, a daily assignment book will do this job as their parents have to sign on their daily progress report. On the disciplinary subject, you can call and talk to their parents.
22) How can Teacher make teaching effortless?
These can help the teacher to leave his impact and make out the maximum of it
- Use a pleasant and normal tone while communicating with the student.
- Start delivering lecture only when a student is ready to receive from you
- Try to use non-verbal communication or hand signals. This will help the student to take an interest in what you are saying. Sometimes non-verbal communication says more than your verbal thing
- Address immediately on any unpleasant or unsatisfactory situation with students, always approach student as they need help or have some doubt.
- Bored students are equally harassing as troubled students. Always have an interactive session and well-designed engaging lesson
- Organize the class outside the classroom sometimes like in open ground. It will change the ambiance.
23) How can a Teacher handle a weak student?
- A teacher can motivate the weak student by motivating him/her for the subject they are interested in
- Sometimes the teacher has to realize and tolerate a student’s strength and weakness
- The teacher can individually talk with the student about the problem he is facing
- The teacher could adopt different teaching methods, so it’s easy for the student to understand the thing
- The teacher must encourage such student to express their view on the subject
- The teacher must create an ambiance that makes weak students feel equally important and unbiased
24) What is your opinion on the implementation of a new subject in the curriculum and which subject you would like to include?
- Computers are inevitable in the 21st century; a basic computer programming course from high school onwards can help students to become a pro by the time they complete their colleges
- Data science engineering is another subject that could be helpful to the student in their near future
- Data is the new oil. With little knowledge in statistics, they can handle and operate data library in any field
25) What must the teacher do on their very first day?
On their very first day, the teacher must do the following things
- Know the school policies
- Familiarize yourself with the school
- Meet your colleagues
- Make your material ready for the first day
- Prepare your lesson thoroughly and stay relaxed
- Make detailed lesson plans for the first week
- Teach something to the student that is easy for the student to learn, and spend the last 5-10 chatting with the student
26) What must a Teacher not do?
- The teacher should not humiliate student, especially in front of others
- They should not judge a student based on their academic records and marks.
- The teacher should not give a low grade to the student due to their personal strife
- The teacher should not ask the student to cover everything on their own when they miss a class; their assistance is required
- The teacher should not assume students grasping power as an equal to his/her, and expect them to learn everything real quick
- The teacher should not teach a lesson as if he/she teaching to himself/herself. He/She must involve students by taking small breaks in between lessons and ask them if they needed any help
- The teacher should not try to dominant student, in fact; they should remain calm and be at receiving end
- The teacher should not be over-demanding and understand the potential of the fellow student before allotting any task
27) How can a teacher involve parents in students’ progress?
- Regular parent’s conference: One-to-one contact is the best way to communicate with parents. In a meeting, the teacher needs to discuss the student progress, and any concern parents have about the student
- Use technology: Teacher should post about the assignment, project due dates and event information on their school website so parents can be aware of the latest updates and events going on the school. Providing an e-mail is another effective way to communicate with parents
- Open House: Encourage parents to participate as classroom volunteers, and become a member of the parent-teacher organization. An open house is another medium to keep parents updated with the essential information they will need throughout the year
- Monthly Newsletter: It is an easy way to keep parents informed about their child progress. The newsletter includes information like school events, assignment due dates, monthly goals, volunteer opportunities, etc.
28) In what areas parents can offer their volunteer service?
Parents can offer their volunteer service in various field like lunch-room monitor, tutor, crossing the guard, library aid and concession stand worker for school events.
29) What are effective classroom management styles?
Effective classroom management styles include
- Don’t attend any parent’s- teacher conference, student meeting or discussion until you are clear about the goal
- Don’t promise student to do something which you can’t able to do
- Understand students all aspects and requirement for classroom
- Ensure that whatever you implement or say should be practically feasible and beneficial for the student
30) Explain what is co-teaching?
Co-teaching is a new strategy adopted by teachers to teach a particular subject by sharing their responsibility. Co-teaching can be fun for the student learning one subject from two or more people who may have different ways of teaching or thinking.
Are you looking for work from home job? Here are the best jobs for former teachers. The available online education jobs now span a wide range of qualifications in candidates, everything from highly experienced teachers with master’s degrees and teaching certificates and work experience as a teacher. Today, companies like QKids and VIPKID hire professionals to teach English to children in foreign organizations.