1) Mention what is the duty of landscaper and groundskeeper?
Their duty includes
- Operating powered equipment’s and vehicles like mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers and pruning saws
- Shovel snow from parking lots, driveways and walks
- Maintaining ground lawn my aerating, weeding, mulching or trimming
- Trim trees, shrubs or hedges
- Removing litter
- Maintenance and service of tools
- Mix and spray of fertilizers
- Cultivate lawns or gardens
- Advise the customer how to take care of plants
- Decorate the garden with plants or stones
2) What are the hand tools does groundskeeper or landscaper use?
The hand tools used are
- Pruning saws
- Hedge or brush
3) Mention what are the skills required to become a landscaper worker?
You must possess following skills
- Physical strength
- Good listening skills
- Manual dexterity
4) Mention what are the challenges that you have to face as a landscaper and groundskeeper worker?
- Working outdoor: You will be working at the out-door location, and have to work in harsh condition
- Noise level: The noise level can vary according to the location and addition to that you will also have to bear the noise coming out the tools and equipment’s you are using.
- Exposure to light and bad weather: You have to work in the harsh environment, and the majority of the time exposed to extreme weather condition like freezing cold to flashing sun light
- Cleanliness and Odors: This is one thing that you have to deal every day, you will get messy and disheveled while handling dirt, soil, shrubs, flowers and pesticides
- Flexibility to work: You might have a different task each day, or might do the same task but not in the same order
- Continuous Movement: A lot of locomotive moves required while working which includes bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, standing for a longer time, sitting, walking, etc.
5) What type of work attire should be preferable for landscaper worker?
As a person has to deal with dirt and debris, there attire should be such that it can bear all wear and tear while performing the task. Also, you should other accessories that protect you from extreme weather like
- Hat and sunglasses
- Steel toed boots
- Headphones (Noisy Environment)
6) Mention how you do pruning in gardens?
Pruning can be done in following places,
- Prune just above the buds ( 3mm-4mm above buds)
- Where plants have alternately positioned buds
- When the plant has pairs of buds opposite to each other
- Cut out any dead or old wood at the base of the plant
- Where stems are crossing each other or growing close to each other
- Leaving the clump of leaves at the base cutback flowered stems or herbaceous plants down to ground level
7) Explain how to deal with snow?
Three things you could probably do to shovel snow
- Remove snow using shovel for a small amount of snow
- For the heavy snow use snow blower
- Use rock salt to de-ice the area, after snow fall, icy surface its big problem
8) Mention how to maintain a lawn edge?
To maintain a lawn edge
- First determine the border of the lawn by using a half-moon cutter, it will clearly create a distinctive edge between flowerbeds and lawn
- Don’t use a spade for cutting since the blade is somewhat curved and leave a scalloped finish
- Once, the boundary is determined use edging shears to cut the blades of grass swaying out of the edges of the lawn. Edging shears works as scissor and while using it make sure that you move only top blade and lower blade remains static
9) Mention different types of mold, fungus and worm found in lawn and how to deal with it?
Different types of mold you will see
- Slime mold: This type of mold is usually seen in late summer and can be removed by spraying a jet of water
- Red Thread: This is a common lawn disease, where grass appears light orange or reddish in color due to deficiency of nitrogen. Use ammonium sulfate to overcome nitrogen deficiency
- Rust: Rust is like red patches on the leaves, and it appears like iron-rust. There is no chemical treatment for this condition, but regular mowing and removal of clipping will stop it from spreading. Avoid using high nitrogen fertilizer in such condition
- Snow Mold: It is a fungal disease which appears as brownish patches on the lawn. Scarification can reduce the risk
- Ant Nests: It looks ugly on a lawn, and appears like a patch of mud splashed on the grass. Use nematode steinernema feltiae to control the ants.
- Leather jackets and Chafer grubs: They are the insects that the feed on the roots of grass, to eliminate these worms you can use chemical controls
- Fairy rings: It appears like mushroom, and grows in moist climate. Effective chemical can control these fairy rings alternate way to remove this fungus is to dig the affected area by to a depth of 12 inches, and you can replace it with healthy topsoil.
10) What is the precaution taken while fertilizing plants?
- Avoid using fertilizer using weed and feed lawn fertilizers that contain herbicides near ornamental plants
- Make sure the foliage is dry when applying fertilizers
- Trees growing in the turf areas does not require fertilizers separately it will take the nutrients and fertilizers from turf area itself
- Do not concentrate fertilizers in holes drilled under the canopy
- Plants growing in shade usually requires less fertilizers
- Effective way of fertilizing is to administer fertilizers at slow pace and in required amount
11) Mention what is a technique for laying out SOD?
- Measure the area first where you want lay the SOD
- Use rototiller to loosen the soil to a depth of 6 to 8 inches. Remove debris, rock and weeds and then add 2 to 3 inches of organic matter
- Rack the soil level and ensure that it is one inch below the paved areas
- Laying whole pieces one at a time, start laying turf along a straight edge
- Lay another piece of turf side by side, while laying it make sure it does not overlap each other and air pockets
- Tuck the small pieces of turf into the center of the lawn area
- Put some potting soil across all seams using a strong push broom
- Use a lawn roller to push the SOD more firmly into the soil