Top 20 Electrical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers
Here are the most asked basic to advanced Electrical Engineering interview questions and answers for freshers as well as experienced Electrical Engineer candidates to get their dream job.
1) What happens when two positively charged material is placed together?
When two positively charged material place together it will repel.
👉 Free PDF Download: Electrical Engineering Interview Questions
2) What is referred to the electron in the outer orbit?
Electron in the outer orbit is known as valence.
3) Define the term Capacitance and Inductance?
- Capacitance: It is the amount of charge that is stored inside a capacitor at a given voltage.
- Inductance: It is defined as the property of a coil to resist any changes in electric current flowing through it. Mutual inductance happens when a secondary coil opposes current change in the primary coil.
4) Mention what is the difference between generator and alternator?
Both generator and alternator work on the same principle they convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.
- Generator: It converts induced emf (Electro Motive Force) into direct current, where it based on stationary magnetic field and revolving conductor which rolls on the armatures with slip rings and brushes riding against each other.
- Alternator: It has rotating magnetic and stationary armature for high voltage and stationary magnetic field and a rotating armature for low voltage
5) Mention what are the different kind of cables used for transmissions?
Cables are categorized into three forms according to its thermal capacity
- Low tension cables- transmits voltage upto 1000 volts
- High tension cables- transmits voltage up to 23000 volts
- Super tension cables- transmits voltage up to 66kv to 132kv
6) Mention what are the different colors on wires indicates?
This is a must know question for any good Electrical Engineer
- Black wire: This wire is used for power supply in all circuits. Any circuits with this color is considered hot or live. It is never used for a neutral or ground wire.
- Red wire: This color wire is a secondary live wire in a 220 volt circuit and used in some types of interconnection. You can join the red wire to another red wire or to a black wire
- Blue and Yellow wire: These wires are also used to carry power but are not wiring the outlets for common plug-in electrical devices. They are used for the live wire pulled through the conduct. You will see yellow wire in the fan, structure lights, and switched outlets.
- White and Gray: This color wire is used as a neutral wire. It carries the current (unbalanced load) to the ground. You can join white and gray only to other white and gray wires
- Green: It is connected to the grounding terminal in an outlet box and run from the outlet box to the ground bus bar within an electric panel
7) Explain RLC circuit?
An RLC circuit carries an electrical circuit consisting of a resistor (R) and inductor (L) and a capacitor (C), connected in parallel or series. This circuit is called a second order circuit as any voltage or current in the circuit can be described by a second order differential equation.
8) Explain how you decide what size of electrical wire do you need?
Wire is sized by American Wire Gauge system. Your installation of conductors will depend on a few factors like gauge of the wire, wire capacity, etc. For wires, smaller the wire gauge larger the ampacity or capacity of the wire to handle current. For example, low voltage lighting and lamp cords will have 18 gauge, electric furnaces or large electric heaters are of 6 gauge.
9) Mention what are the types of semi-conductors?
There are two types of semi-conductors intrinsic and extrinsic. Again in extrinsic semi-conductors you will have N-type semiconductors and P-type semiconductors.
10) Explain what is transistors comprised of?
Transistors are comprised of several combination of n-type and p-type semi-conductors.
11) Mention what is the role of transistor in Circuit?
Transistor has the ability to amplify the current, due to the reason that output power can be higher than the input power.
12) Mention how NPN and PNP transistor works?
In a circuit when NPN is used,
- No current flowing from A to D = No flow from X to Z
- Current flowing from A to D = Current allowed to flow from X to Z
When PNP is used,
- No current flowing from A to D = Current is allowed to flow from X to Z
- Current flowing from A to D = No current flow from X to Z
13) What will be the current if the resistance total in a series circuit doubles?
If the resistance total in a series circuit doubles the current will reduce to half.
14) What happens if the series current double?
If the series current gets double then, the resistance is halved.
15) Explain what does a string of resistors in a series will do?
When a string of resistors in a series will divide the source voltage into proportion to their values.
16) What is meant by reverse polarity and how it can be fixed?
Reverse polarity is referred in a condition where one or more of your receptacles are connected incorrectly. To fix the reverse polarity, check the wire connection at the outlet and inspect your receptacle. A receptacle with reverse polarity will have the white wire screwed to the hot side and the black wire will be connected to the neutral side, if that the case swap the wires and it will resolves the problem. If it persists, a licensed electrician will be needed.
17) Explain what rectifiers is and what are the types of rectifiers?
A rectifier is an electrical device that transforms A.C or alternating current into direct current (D.C), which flows in only one direction. The types of rectifiers are
- Half wave rectifier: It uses one p-n junction
- Full wave rectifier: It uses two p-n junction
18) Explain what is Zener diode?
Zener diode is a type of seme-conductor diode that allows current to flow in the opposite direction when exposed to enough voltage.
19) Mention the difference between Analogue and Digital circuit?
20) Explain what is laser diodes?
Laser diodes are compact transistor like packages with two or more electrical leads. Lasing occurs when stimulated emission results into the amplification of photon confined to the lasing mode. These photons hit back and forth between the back and front mirror, and hence a diverging beam emits from the laser diode packages.
These interview questions will also help in your viva(orals)
It’s a very good and very basic questions that we have to know….Thank you…..
Thanks for sharing snd good information
thanks you sir…always give this type of question
Sir electrical per job kon sa hai
I want a learnership of electrical engineering I complete my N6
It’s best site preparing Electrical Engineer for placement .
Very nice questi6
I have 4 amp dc fan can i run this fan through 3.5 amp charger
I will be thankful to you
In practical terms, it is possible because the charger is within acceptable tolerance (- or + 1). The only disadvantage you will encounter is that it will take a little longer time to get charged than the actual rated 4amp charger.
U can run .
Good questions ….I really like this
Yes but potential should be high of charger I.e. V
yes you can. Not only 3.5.. even you can run it with 2 amp source also but the point here is whether you want to run it on it’s full speed (rated speed) or just to run it. If you want the rated speed then you have to use the rated capacity source to achieve rated speed. Voltage also plays major role in speed.. only u use 4amp charger with less voltage source ( lesser than rated) you can’t get the desired speed.
Yes it will run with speed slowed down but ensure the voltage is same.
Very nice questions are prepared.It is very useful for those who remember as well as new comer in electrical fields.
Very good questions….
Vv good questions sir
Basics are important, without this we can’t understand subject ok thanks
Nice questions for better improvement of basics
I like so interesting 💥
The black wire details are wrong. It should be used for nuetral or ground, but in above infomation its given never used.
Basic knowledge for electrical & electronics engineers
Thank you so much for providing this kind of basic question.
Request you to provide more question with answers.
Simple & good
Best👍💯 carrier question And answer🙏thanks you SO much 🙏
it is exeleent,but add more…..
Wonderful it has sharpened my brain
It’s nice and useful questions for us..
Thank you for that..
Really I was very useful as these questions are very basic especially for the interview purpose
Its a very very splendid and basic question that we have to know.. Ty so much
Thank you very much sir, for this important interview questions.
Wonderful article and very nice questions and answers
Thank you very much sir, for this important interview questions..
Very good topic
Very nice question and answer love it
This is a useful page to me. I learn many things related to Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Very short brief and good revisions…
Most of useing the black color wire for Neutral in low volt or in medium voltage
It is not good question ..
Very understood and brief.
Very nice question with answers.
It’s good to recall the basic things
These all questions and answers are briefly simple……..Thank you
Very nice question
I studied blak wire is nueral red wire is live green wire is earthing and red yellow blue also live wires in three phase system.
Good question and answer
Tnx for sharing good & basic knowledg.
Wow. I like it .
I like this site very much, because there alot of information s here.for me this site is the best.Thank you management
Love this😎 super da
Tnks for the basic tips it is very helpful for interview
It is helpful for us
generator explanation is wrong
Tq for supporting in big help
thank you for sharing such important info
Nice question 6
Wow! Very impresive. Keep the good work.
useful info for interview and also basic for electrical Engineering
It really helps. Need some more interview questions n answers.
Thanks for the information
It’s helpful for us
This page is good and useful to me
Sir I have a question!
That is about AC 220 10A 8pin relay
Can you please explain why my relay gets much heat 70°c some time its up toooo .
I just connect relay side by side around 5 relay .
All are producing much temperature.
So I just checke my coil input voltage that also fine.
So I couldn’t understand what the reason for much heat producing?
When I separately connect my relay it doesn’t do like this.but when I connect all to geather side by side it’s try to burn ..I think so.
Please give the solution!
Its very good
Thanks so much I really love all
Wah thanks very much but i have a question..why Are primary cells not rechargeable
Wow it’s really amazing question
sir plz L&T interview questions ans sir plz sir next week interview sir please give me sir
I want learn more from you
I am an electrician pls help me to learn completely.
I have a rechargeable head-torch with 2 x LI-ION 18650 3.7v 2200mAh batteries. Can I change the batteries to higher mAh batteries? What are the risk factors, I need to be aware of?
Nice informative questions I like it. Thank you.
Super and brief explanation…..
Thanks in Advance
Sir plzz aap aise hi btate rho hm logo ki help ho jayegi plz
It’s really gd and helpful to we students thanks alot