Top Interior Designer Interview Questions
Here are Interior Design interview questions and answers for freshers as well as experienced Interior Designer candidates to get their dream job.
1) How can you design small spaces?
- In a long living room, breakdown the space by making three separate seating areas with pieces of furniture that are small in scale
- Use light color paint on the wall to make the space look bigger
- In a small bedroom, keep a bed that covers half of the space which makes the room space bigger
2) When designing a room what is the most important factor for you?
Once the design or thought is clear in your mind about the design is to follow a theme and the design entire room accordingly which includes color, furniture and piece of art.
3) How to fit bookshelves in a small space?
If you are having small space and accommodating bookshelves is a problem. Then it is advisable to get a wall mounted bookshelves, and it will occupy less floor space compared to free-standing bookshelves.
4) What wood will you prefer for designing?
The wood that will be a good choice for formal designing is oak, cherry, and mahogany, while, for casual designing maple, bamboo and pine are casual choices.
5) What is a good way of using lights in your room?
A good way of using lights in the room is to use 80% of lights overhead, and 20% of light should be a free stand or wall mounted like table lamp, art lamp, library lamps, scones, etc. It will draw attention of your interior and paintings.
6) How can you use the space in your balcony or veranda for garden?
If you are staying in an apartment, you can use stacking technique or hang baskets for maximizing vertical space. You can use window ledge or slimline balcony by planting with suitable containers also you can put ornamental plants on door step or entrances.
7) Explain what is professional liability insurance for interior designers cover?
Professional liability insurance for interior designers covers losses, expenses, and damages resulting from lawsuits up to the limit of your policy. It protects clients from claims of wrongful acts committed by you or your employee while performing professional duties or losses that happens to others due to alteration of design.
8) Explain how you handle customs work to fit?
- Paperhanging and Design: For wall covering installation
- Partners in Design: Customs upholstery and re-upholstery that is quick and when you want it
- Art Application: Use customs art for you chair or Sofa cover
- Boston Binding: It is used best in carpeting installation and area rug binding and serging
9) Explain what is the difference between interior design and interior decoration?
- Interior design: Interior designer have technical expertise to know the vast array of options and give creative solutions to the space they use for design
- Interior decorating: It is about using various forms of color and accent to make particular space more visually appealing
10) As an interior designer what questions you will ask to the client?
- About client budget and timeframe
- About design style
- About decision making
- Whether worked with any designer before
- How you visualize the design process taking place
11) Mention what are the tools does an interior designer takes help?
- Color Wheel
- Paint Chips
- Fabric Samples
- Measuring Tape
- Digital Camera
12) What is QuickBook Accounting for Interior designer?
QuickBook accounting is a software used by interior designer to manage your accounting and finance in one central location. It is used to manage your sales, expenses and other financial data.
13) Mention some of the popular and widely used software for interior designing?
- Autodesk Homestyler
- Sweet Home 3D
- 3D Home Design Software
- 3D Spacer
- Home Designer Suite 10
- Home & Landscape Design Premium NexGen3
- HGTV home design and remodelling suite
14) List out some of the best App available in the market for interior designing?
Some of the best App available in the market are
- Graphisoft BIMx
- iHandy Carpenter
- Autodesk Format
- Architect’s Formulator
- Home Sizer
- Color Capture
- AutoCAD 360
15) Mention some of the areas apart from traditional areas where you can apply interior design and specialize yourself?
You can specialize yourself in various stream like
- Visual Merchandiser
- Home Theater designer
- Feng Shui Designer
- Vastu Shastra Expert
- Set Designer (for films)
- Landscaping Artist
16) Explain what is Practice Act for Interior Designer?
If a state adopts the practice act for interior design, then they can prohibit the act of practicing the professional services of interior design who are not licensed in the profession.
17) As an interior design which are the firms you can use your skill as an individual?
- As an interior design professional, you can use your skill in an architecture firm
- In furniture showroom
- A model or sample house designer
- In a lightning design firm
18) Explain what is permitting statue for Interior design?
It is an amendment in the existing law, according to which governing architectural practice should cover interior designers as well, whichever province or state it is applicable.
19) List out some of the magazines which can be helpful for interior designer professional?
- Dwell Magazine
- Frame Magazine
- Metropolis Magazine
- Interior Design Magazine
20) What are the things you have to take care while designing?
- Put decorative mirror especially for a smaller space
- Put art/photo at appropriate height on the wall
- Don’t surface in acoustic or theatre if you have, it will bounce back the sound waves
- Check room dimension first before selecting furniture
- Don’t over furnish the room
- Use color co-ordination carefully, otherwise it will go bizarre
- Use appropriate lighting
21) What is the role of kitchen designer?
The basic role of kitchen designer is the selection of kitchen appliances, considering the flooring and counter tops as well. You can design kitchens for kitchen showrooms, restaurant, hotels and hospitals.
22) Mention some of the modern glass types used in interior designing?
- Flair Granit
- Ferrera on satinato
23) What types of countertop materials you can use to design a kitchen?
- Granite and Quartz
- Marble and Limestone
- Wood Countertops
- Stainless steel
- Laminate counter tops
24) What is the basic type of lightning does an interior designer follows?
Basic type of lightning are
These interview questions will also help in your viva(orals)