Top 16 Art Director Interview Questions and Answers
Creative Director Interview Questions
Here are Art (Creative) Director interview questions and answers for freshers as well as experienced candidates to get their dream job.
1) What all things does the art director do?
- To represent a concept visually
- Look for the photographs, art or other design elements to use
- Analyze the overall look or style of the publication, television, theatre, advertising campaign, etc.
- Supervise design staff
- Review and approve designs, photography, graphics, artwork developed by staff members
- Present designs to clients for approval
- Presenting detailed budgets and timelines
- Organizing activities
👉 Free PDF Download: Creative Director Interview Questions
2) What all areas art director can work?
Art director work throughout media and industries related to it like
- Book publishing
- Book magazines
- With ad agencies
- Creating ads for TV or Web
3) What should an art director must do to make his content more appealing?
- Make your words pops
- Interpret the text for a visual culture
- Convey the message more with a picture and less with words
- Find editors, contributors, other brand and look into their work
4) Mention the skills required for an art director to work in an ad agency?
- Strong foundation in design
- Readiness to work long hours
- Knowledge with Photoshop, illustrator, indesign, flash, QuarkXpress, PowerPoint and other programs
- PHP, HTML, and other web experience are often required
- Enable to manage a project from concept through production in multiple media
5) Mention what is the difference between an art director and creative director?
- Creative Director: It designs and built the strategies to meet the business objective directed by the client. It establishes the overall creative direction and reports to a senior manager
- Art Director: The look and feel of the entire production are in the hand of Art director. It advances art direction based on creative strategy given by the creative director and develops design and style for the ads.
6) Explain how to become an Art Director in film?
To become an art director in film
- Learn classes in interior design, architectural design and computer aided drafting
- Work as a volunteer in a local theatre or on student’s film
- Work as a junior or assistant director with an experienced art director
- Keep yourself updated with new technologies and software like CAD.
7) As an art director how you will find the right agency?
- Don’t follow the agency just because they have bigger names, try to look whether that agency has the work you are interested in
- Research on the working style of the agency, whether it is biased towards specific media usage
- Look whether agency allows you to implement your idea freely
- Check whether their billing process is transparent.
8) Explain how to write an ad?
- Before writing for an ad, you should have thorough knowledge about the product
- Use less word and give more meaning
- Figure out the most eye-catching statement in your ad and put in the beginning part or introduction
- Once you had done with writing, trim what you have written
- Try to convey the message that touches your audience
- Instead of a stationary photograph, to enhance your radio script use a series of video images
- Record your ad and listen to it repeatedly until you are convinced totally with it
- Use the language that your audience is comfy with.
9) Explain what does a video game art director do?
Video game art director is mainly responsible for
- Imagining and implementing artistic vision for a video game
- Communicating with the management, producers, game publisher and team
- Throughout the production process, he has to maintain the vision consistently
- Constant interaction with other studio department, to ensure that the art direction is feasible and supported properly
10) Explain what is drop shadow?
Drop shadow is the shading effect used to give the appearance of graphics or raised type on the designed page.
11) What do you mean by term Duotone?
Duotone is an effect used to give a black & white photographic image that has been given a color tint by duplication of the image onto a second color channel. In Photoshop, there is a command Duotone that changes a grayscale image into a two color Duotone, three color Duotone or four color quad-tone.
12) Explain the role of a copywriter?
Copywriter is a commercial author who writes copy for brochures, annual reports, adverts or other marketing materials. Copywriter either work as a freelancer or work inside the larger advertising agencies.
13) Explain the term Noise?
Noise is a graphic image where there are extra pixels in the image degrading the quality of the image.
14) What are the main things that the art director for an ad look for?
- Composition: does it cover all aspects of the ad including images
- Typography: does the letter or font used are align and readable to the target audience
- Color: does the color used in the ad campaign, suits the color scheme of the brand.
15) Mention what are the problems an art director might face?
An art director might face problems in executing its work
- Communication gap: Communication gap between the different teams or department may be a major concern, synchronizing their work in a single piece becomes a headache
- Mental block: When you don’t liberate your ideas and imagination beyond certain area, it get stuck to a specific subject and stops you to see other options
- Too many assumption: When you have too many options to execute a particular task it might confuse you and direct you to the wrong decision
16) What all things does movie art director has to consider in its budget?
Things that movie art director has to consider in his budget includes
- Income for the performer
- Travel and meals
- Automobile and vehicle expenses (includes vehicle used during the action sequence)
- Other additional expenses (Video, CD’s, stage makeup and wardrobe)